Alpha Esquires is a “rites of passage” youth leadership program aimed at socializing and preparing young African-American males for manhood, fatherhood and community responsibility. Through educational programs, social seminars and community service, we will develop our member’s natural leadership abilities. This organization holds no cultural, religious, or political bias, yet maintains strong beliefs that together with the gathering of intellectual minds we can enhance the outside perspective of the “Black Man.” Our goal is to help our African-American males increase their self-esteem, confidence and social skills.
Through educational programs, social seminars and community service, we will develop our natural leadership abilities and become the beacon of hope our grandfathers charged us to be.
Who are Alpha Esquires?
An Alpha Esquire is a young man that has at least 2.5 GPA and upon high school graduation he will have a 3.5 or better; he possesses leadership potential and displays a common decency towards his elders and peers.
Why become an Esquire?
• Life seminars/lectures at local churches, youth organizations, secondary and post-secondary schools.
• College visits; exposing you to a broader range of career role models, diversity among AfricanAmericans, and the historic advantage of having academic freedom to work out personal strategies for coping with demeaning and distracting racism that still pervades American society.
• Community Service: Student involvement in community projects is a part of experiential learning that allows students to learn more about communities with problems and to have a real understanding of what it really means.
• Study Groups: Aside from the camaraderie, the fellowship, and the fun, a support group can assist you by elevating your spirit. If you declare your intention to study with others and know they are depending on you, your intention will gain strength.
• Brotherhood: “Brotherhood is not just a Bible word. Out of comradeship can come and will come a happy life for all.” – Heywood Broun